Author Topic: App ideas..  (Read 2829 times)

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
App ideas..
« on: November 18, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
OK, just putting some ideas out there.. let me know what you think and if you have any of your own..

So.. With the recent release of Google Home and it's ability to 'cast' things to a chromecast. I was thinking it would be good to 'cast' things to the tv.  So, from things like 'Alpha take a picture' to 'Alpha show me the picture on the big tv'.. and 'keep, delete etc' becomes an option. You could cast youtube, films, music etc..

I think it would be good to get tunein or a music search radio app on it, so it can also play music throughout the day.

hmm will try and think of some more.. plus I really need to see how the sdk works.

Steve

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: App ideas..
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
hmm maybe Rock / Paper / Scissors game?  .. not sure how he would do paper, hey that might be the point?

emptiness

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »
I'd like to build an app that causes Alpha2 to walk round a space, sort of like a random patrol.
Ideally Alpha would spot people and determine if it recognised them or not.

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
I would love a roaming app like that. Mine currently walks rather slowly so I'm guessing after two rooms his battery would be dead.. lol

I'm sure he could walk quicker, not sure if he has a gyro or accelerometer inside so he knows if he's falling over or not.

maiquelrinco

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »
Alpha need to known his house and all rooms and places maped and then go to charge his battery when it's run on low battery. Auto charge could be very good and usefull to make more applications and wipe the battery.

emptiness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 10:45:22 PM »
I would love a roaming app like that. Mine currently walks rather slowly so I'm guessing after two rooms his battery would be dead.. lol

I'm sure he could walk quicker, not sure if he has a gyro or accelerometer inside so he knows if he's falling over or not.

That's an interesting point. What does happen is Alpha2 falls over? Does it detect that it's fallen? Anyone with an Alpha care to test?

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 08:53:45 AM »
At the moment if Alpha falls over during a dance he doesn't know.. he just continues.   However, I'm pleased to say he does have an accelerometer inside him :-) so we could tap into this.

Alpha has the services app always running. This does speech, basic 'Hello Alpha' and controls the limbs.  When you boot him up he starts up the ChatPartner App. This is the app that does the dance, all the.. if you don't want to talk to me crap.. The ask me how old I am stuff.  So.. it would be quite easy to replace with with something better and dare I say, more UK / English based.  When you ask him what the weather is like, he needs a location. However, you could use the location service so he knows.. I was surprised they hadn't done this.

I've had a play with the code.. just the SDK demo. I'm having difficulty understanding it as I've not coded for a couple of years and I'm coming from vb6 really.. lol BUT.. it seems when you talk to him the sound is then decoded and the services decide the type of message. ie action etc. this is then broadcast as a text string which can be then changed into an action. I can't get the mRobot TTS to work at the moment... early days yet.

Steve

Oh, below is a screenshot of the accelerometer app I ran.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 08:56:53 AM by CdRsKuLL »

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »
Just been thinking.. (that's never good!)

I was wondering if anyone would like to work on a joint application that can accept plugins etc?  The reason being I'm sure each of us could bring something great to Alpha but they all might be in a separate app so we would need to unload one and load another to benefit. (using the UBTECH load / unload app).. So, if we just had a single core app that we could bolt on different items it would be great.

So say the core app receives a voice instruction (or string) it then sends this to each plugin in turn.. the plugin can either accept or reject this string, if it rejects it, then its sent to the next plugin.. etc. Finally if no plugin accepts it the core does something? The plugins could be moved up and down the pecking order as per user request.

Just an idea.. but I think a joint project would benefit everyone the most.. what do you all think?

emptiness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 01:00:52 PM »
Just been thinking.. (that's never good!)

I was wondering if anyone would like to work on a joint application that can accept plugins etc?  The reason being I'm sure each of us could bring something great to Alpha but they all might be in a separate app so we would need to unload one and load another to benefit. (using the UBTECH load / unload app).. So, if we just had a single core app that we could bolt on different items it would be great.

So say the core app receives a voice instruction (or string) it then sends this to each plugin in turn.. the plugin can either accept or reject this string, if it rejects it, then its sent to the next plugin.. etc. Finally if no plugin accepts it the core does something? The plugins could be moved up and down the pecking order as per user request.

Just an idea.. but I think a joint project would benefit everyone the most.. what do you all think?

But don't you get that ability anyway with android? I'm not a very experienced android developer so I could be wrong but I thought the idea of intents were that you can broadcast a string with some additional data and anything that has registered interest can receive it and decide whether to take action. So, rather than having a single app with plugins I think we'd want to have multiple apps running as android services and agree on a set of intents. AFAIK this is how you can have apps that need, for example, a QR code scanner use whatever QR code scanner app is installed on your phone.

CdRsKuLL

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 01:12:54 PM »
Yes, from what I understand you can have say global broadcasts but the problem is that you would then have the possibility of multiple apps trying to respond.. ie spotify / tunein / google music etc.. Plus, you would have to start each app on it's own. I could see it getting a bit of a mess really. Even more so if you start introducing timers to do some.. like yawning, whistling etc but another app might be doing something.

I've noticed that you really need to end the chatpartner app (default app) if you want to play with the actions app as it keeps trying to do something with Alpha otherwise.

TobyMac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »
I'd like to build an app that causes Alpha2 to walk round a space, sort of like a random patrol.
Ideally Alpha would spot people and determine if it recognised them or not.

That sounds really cool.

Naymenos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 05:00:48 AM »
I'm looking forward to getting it out of the box again

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5