Author Topic: Servo Lower Level Access  (Read 1238 times)

alanau

• View Profile
Servo Lower Level Access
« on: January 24, 2017, 05:26:56 AM »
I've been trying to get some more information on the protocol that's used to communicate with the Servos.  My understanding is that it is serial, but I can't seem to find any documentation on their servos, just their spec on torque, dimensions, etc.  I wonder if they use a similar protocol as the dynamixel servos.

I am hoping to bypass Alpha2Services and work directly with the servos.  From my bit of testing right now, there's really no way to set a new position while the servo is moving, seems to freak out when there's a new motion position before the first position is reached.  Also, I want to be able to get current feedback from the servos for bump detection, etc, but this information is not available in the SDK.

Hopefully someone will have more luck with trying to figure this out.

Alan

maiquelrinco

Re: Servo Lower Level Access
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:23:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm on the same, I got alpha 2 with replacement servos , so last day I got one problem with one servo and think about change for the new ones, for my surprise the new ones doesn't work and UBTECH robotics say they need to program the ID of their servos and send me a new one, I just gave the number for UBTECH and they will send a new one, so my question is, the replacement servos who comes in developer version is for what???

alanau

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »
The servo has a 3 pin connection, I'm guessing similar to the dynamixel.  My next plan was to connect up to the servo via an arduino and see if I reverse engineer the protocol.

The JIMU uses similar servos as Alpha 2 and those Servos can be programmed via their JIMU app, so I'm sure the programming is done via the serial protocol and not some complicated flashing.

https://jimurobots.com/faq/when-do-you-have-to-modify-servo-id-and-how-can-you-do-it/

maiquelrinco

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »
So if I buy the control box and connect alpha 2 servos using Jimu APP can I modify the servos ID, amazing!!

thx for the tip, I will learn about that...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5